Friday, December 27, 2013

The Air of a King chapter 7 (STORY by SHADOWHEART)

Chapter 7


Practice that day was pretty the same as one would expect. I was more worried about other issues. Like how King was completely ignoring me, and how the 2nd years were bullying the rest of he freshmen just to make themselves look superior. Compared to all this, joining practice after a week seemed a lot easier and in fact was.
Right after practice King and myself headed for the Coach's office. We knew that we were in trouble for the game we had earlier on in the day. But I couldn't shake off the feeling that our seniors were a little too happy about this. I had met Moko earlier on in practice. he seemed to be pretty good, but he didn't give off that air that his older brother Sakeru did. I guess only monsters of that level could or higher could make me feel the excitement of playing.
Anyway, back to the matter at hand. I walked beside King towards the Coach's office but neither of spoke a word. I knew that I owed him an apology for humiliating him but the words remained stuck in my throat. We reached the office pretty quickly. King knocked on the door. " Come in, you two." We heard the coach call us inside. The office was pretty laid back. Looked a lot like a standard office that a high ranking official would have. Coach did not look happy. The look on his face spelled trouble for both me and King. I waited for the bomb shell that I knew was coming. " Explain" was all he said looking at both me and King almost simultaneously. King began explaining what happened, I piped in a few times, just to fill  in a few details. Coach heard our story without asking any questions or interrupting us. After he heard us out, he sighed. " So, just to prove how good you were or how talented you were, you played against your captain and humiliated him." Now coach's voice was on the rise, as he scolded me for my behavior. He then pointed at King and continued," And you! When will you learn to speak in a subtle manner. You already caused a ruckus against the second years and now you insult your best player. A captain is supposed to guide the team and support his players but you are underestimating your ace." King tried to speak up but was cut short," Even if you were trying to help Knight that was no way to handle. Knight as for you. You may be the best player and may have your pride,but you should have understood your captain's real intentions, before you pulled that stunt. The both of you are supposed to set an example for the rest without tearing each other apart." We could only look down in shame.  I had no word with which I could defend myself. Coach looked like he wasn't done with us. I braced myself for whatever was in store. " So, if you two have understood your mistake let's move on to pressing matters." Surprise was the only emotion I could muster at that point, even King looked the same. "Starting tomorrow there is a training as you all know. But there is more to this training camp than meets the eye. The theme this time is challenges, games and points. Knight I want you to handle Moko somehow. I agree with you that your better than him, but he still warrants caution and care when handling him. As for the 2nd years, we need to somehow get them to accept you lot. That is not so easy." We were wondering what we had to do with that, when coach cleared our doubts."  The three of us will be setting up the schedule for this camp. You six are going to have to beat the rest of the entire club. It will not be easy but I have faith in you all. But be prepared for challenges out of schedule as well. The one's that will be issued by specific people and not set by us. Go  back home for now, dismissed." With that he waved us out. We were about to walk out the door, when coach spoke to us once more," Do you t 2 know what the main 11 of the Empire or the regulars of this club are called." We shook our heads. I, at least had never heard of this. Coach said." They are called the Nobles of the Empire. The captain is called the King and the ace is called the Knight. When these two argue it is the nobles and Empire that suffer the most. Remember this, both of you. You two are now King and Knight. Play your roles, lead the Nobles and the Empire. I believe in you and trust you both. It all begins tomorrow."
We left the office coach's words hanging over us both. I looked at King and he looked at me. I realized whatever beef was between us was already a thing of the past. We had bigger problems to handle. King offered his hand and I shook it. Tomorrow was going to be a new day one that would see the Nobles of the Empire united.

No comments:

Post a Comment