Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Air of a King Chapter 6 (STORY by SHADOWHEART)

Chapter 6

It's been a week since the big game against the 3rd years, who now switched leagues. My probation was now effectively over. Since that day in the gymnasium, coach banned me from any form of practice, in or out of school. He even got my parents to restrain me. All he said was," Knight now that the game is over your next job as ace is to heal that arm of yours. A week of rest should do." At the time I thought he was joking but boy was I wrong. He wouldn't even let me talk to any club member, much less touch a ball.
All that was now over, I could now practice to my heart's content. As soon as school was done I made my way towards the courts for some early practice, but someone was already there, waiting for me. It was my captain, King. He stood there leaning against the entrance, ball in hand all dressed up for practice. He smiled and handed me the ball. He said," Your late. Let's see if you still got it, or is one week enough to make you rusty." I knew he was just playing around, but I there was no way I was going to let that jibe pass. I dribbled real quick and took a shot from the 3-p line, and got the ball into the hoop. "That's my answer, captain.' was what my reply was to his little joke. Poor guy wasn't prepared for such an answer. I thought he'd be shocked or something, but he smiled in relief. Now it was my turn to get shocked. I couldn't figure out, why would he react in such a manner. Before I could ask, he gave me my answer." You've got competition. It's for your position as ace. Normally, even I would laugh it off. But this guy is the real deal. Trust me on this, if you knew who he was, then even you would be worried."I could only ask,"Who is this guy? To think he'd make you worried." King continued as if I had never spoke." His name is Moko. He's Sakeru's younger brother. But that's not even the scary part. His skill isn't some rip off or some joke. He is the real deal."
What King said should have scared me but it didn't. Something was off. True this was Sakeru's younger brother. He had even scared King, who in all honesty was hard to scare. But that was the problem right there. " King, he may be Sakeru's younger brother but he is not Sakeru." Even after this he continued," Knight, you may think that he is not Sakeru but his talent equals all five of the new Empire namely us. I mean, even Coach said that the guy's talent equals that of his brother." I interrupted him," King trust me, please. This guy may be good, maybe he's even better than I am, but I won't lose. Not now, not ever. He may have scared you, but not me. He is Sakeru's younger brother, I recognize him as a rival, but that's where it ends. From what you've told me this guy is real good. But ..." " But what Knight. Sakeru may have acknowledged you, but you're not the best. Hell, one game against Sakeru got you off the court for a week." I stopped him right there. How did I stop him? The only way I knew how. "King, I challenge you to a one-on-one half court game."
While it's true that it probably wasn't the best time for such an absurd challenge but I was angry. King accepted as I knew he would. His pride as a player came before anything else. The game began quickly. King was good and he deserved to be captain. I meant what I said. He deserved to be captain. But I was better than he was. The game did not go in his favor. I stopped where he thought I couldn't and made a shot where he thought I wouldn't. I couldn't shoot any three pointers, that was thanks to his defense. But I had another card up my sleeve. It was an inherent ability of mine, one I couldn't use because Sakeru wouldn't let me. I called it the free style shot. As long as I wasn't too surrounded and was close enough to the hoop I could shoot without a fixed form or action. This helped me greatly against King. Soon King realized that he couldn't beat me as well as my intentions of telling him something." What do you want to tell me?"he asked while collapsing on the court floor in exhaustion. I, too collapsed but answered even so," I have my pride as the ace, King. I won't hand over my place to anyone, especially not to someone who rides the coattails of their older brother in spite of being talented."
Just then Coach walked followed by the rest of the club members. He looked at us but didn't say anything. I thought we were in trouble. " Good to see you in good form, Knight. I hope you have enough energy left for tomorrow." I looked at him confused, even King had the same expression. Coach helped us up and continued," Starting tomorrow will be a week long training camp. I've already got the necessary permission and everything so just attend and survive. As for you two, King and Knight. Meet me in my office after practice. I have much to discuss with you both" King and I looked at each other. We were still not completely safe. It looked like coach still had something in store for us. I guess we'll find out soon enough, since he called us right after practice. I just hope we're not in too much trouble."

                                                                              END 

No comments:

Post a Comment