Monday, August 12, 2019

Mother Willow (Abstractions - Screech)


Mother Willow

Mother Willow…
Don't weep for me,
Mother Willow…
Would you keep a leaf,
A little bit of shade,
In the blazing summer sun.
So I may rest,
For when I give up another run.
I’ve learned…
I'm aware of what I gained.
The knowledge, it burns…
It sears its way into my brain.
Oh, Mother Willow…
I know what I've lost.
Through the lust, the greed, the fear…
I've betrayed my trust.

My dear child,
It is not too late to stop,
Made your peace with your wars,
But I am afraid you have not.
We are creatures of habit,
You are looking for a hand,
I am afraid I do not have it,
But I will give you my strength.
You can rest beneath my canopy,
I will protect you from the sun,
Stay here as long as you want,
Till you are ready to get back on the road,
Looking to set yourself free.

Mother willow…
What’s my destiny?
Staying afloat in the stratosphere,
Or speaking to a sad machine?
Mother willow…
You've seen many years,
Seen the present and the has beens,
Do you recognize these fears?
Mother willow…
I see shadows, I see silhouettes,
I'm scared of what they'll expect,
I see people put up their fence,
I see paths that don't make sense.
Why don’t they walk these roads?
Why are they so lost on their own?
Mother willow…
How do they stay insane?
Why do they not face their pain?
Why do they run from the blame?
How do they keep doing the same thing over and over again?

My dear child,
Worry not about the shadows,
They are as lost as you are.
They have their own wars,
Their own pasts, their own reasons,
They will find their way through the wild.
I know the fears of which you speak,
I have seen them all through the seasons,
Do not fight the fear, child,
Push through to the other side.
Be who you want to be,
Your destiny is what you make it,
Once you break through the levee.
If you ever feel broken,
Or you ever feel alone,
My roots have always been here,
And shall remain forevermore.

Mother willow…
Is being in the darkness wrong?
I've stayed in it too long,
Is it right to want to stay?
I know my way around,
But I fear I'm led astray.
I'm confused,
I'm lost in a lot of thoughts,
I've been fighting forever,
All these battles that I've fought,
Have they all been for naught?
How can I be sure of what is what?

My child,
The darkness is part of life,
You can stay there as long as you want,
But know the way out, should you change your mind,
Being lost is a dangerous find.
Do not let your thoughts bring you lower,
Your confusion says that you need to go slower,
The depths of your soul will lead you to the cliffs of Dover,
Just let yourself be, you will find your clover.
You will have to fight, dear child,
War is eternal, it is always nigh,
Ash darkens the days, fires brighten the night,
Remember to remember how you learned to fight.
As you grow older, you grow wiser,
You know truths, and you will know lies,
The waves fall, and the snows rise,
You will learn how to see through disguise,
Do not fret, it is a tale as old as time.

Mother willow...
I don’t sleep,
I don’t speak,
I don’t know how I’ve become this weak.
I used to know,
I used to be,
Now I’m lost searching for the power in me.
I remember right, I remember wrong,
I used to remember every single song.
But now I just write,
I just let it go on.
I don’t remember how I used to be strong.

Oh child,
You have grown.
Do you remember everything that you own?
There is no need to know,
You can learn and take a bow.
Take a knee, but do not bend,
Learn from your beloved reverend.
Forever you must go,
Time does not stop its flow,
Do not stop, or you may forget,
Keep singing along,
But keep your rhythm in check,
Let your mind wander,
But keep your feet on the ground.

Mother willow…
I feel very low.
Sleep envelops me,
I’ve nowhere to go.

Sweet child of mine,
Let your dreams be free,
My shadow will protect you,
Come, rest beneath my canopy...


No comments:

Post a Comment